Tuesday, March 20, 2012

New Orleans: Day 1

DragonFyre sits on the bed in the hotel room. Her roomates, Bri, a freshman, and Victoria, a junior, giggle with each other and watch YouTube videos. DragonFyre glances at the clock. It's two in the morning. If they don't shut up and go to bed soon, I will fracking smother them with a pillow until they stop kicking. She shakes her head. No, no bad. Thoughts like those are of the devil. She grasps the cross pendant hanging on a chain around her neck. Just smile and calmly explain that we should have been asleep six hours ago. Victoria turns off her computer.  "Now Bri, I want your honest opinion. Should my boyfriend and I get a room at the Westin, or the Hilton? I mean, I know it's the night of prom, but he wants to make it really special, you know?" 
"How'd you get your mom to agree to pay for that?" Bri asks. 
"Oh, she thinks I'm still a virgin. She says she's proud of me for waiting this long." Victora clarifies. DragonFyre clenches and unclenches her fists. Do. Not. Hurt. Them. Now would be a really good time for some RT powers! Victoria gives her a strange look. "You okay there, Diana?" she asks in her oddly New York-ish accent. Another thing I don't get. She grew up in Alabama like the rest of us, yet she talks like she's from Jersey
"Absofrickinlutly!  Why would it bother me in the slightest to hear you two openly discussing adultery? Means aboslutly nothing to me! Not like my religion's against that entire conversation at all!" DragonFyre exclaims. Bri and Victoria exchange a shocked look.
"Sorry", Victoria laughs, "forgot you were one of those type. What's your denomination again?"
"Southern Baptist." DragonFyre growls through clenched teeth.
"Oh." Victoria mouths.
"You actually believe all that?" Bri asks. DragonFyre's jaw drops.
"You don't?!" DragonFyre gasps. Bri shruggs. "But you're a christian! You said so at school!"
"Yeah but, it's not like any of it actually matters." Bri tries to reason.
"Look, if you found something that works for you, roll with it. It's just not for me. I'll be straight up with you, I don't believe any of it. And I'm sick of people trying to shove religion down my throaght." Victoria holds up her hands in defense.
"I'm not shoving anything down anyones throaght. I just believe that a woman should stay a virgin until marriage." DragonFyre retorts.
"Yeah, okay." Victoria laughs. "If you manage that, I'll be impressed. And FYI, no guy is gonna remain a virgin, so, what's the point? Your mindset would have fit right in back in, what? The fifties? But in this day and age, I don't think so. You can go back to singing hyms and opera now. I liked what you were doing before." DragonFyre opens her choir binder.
"If I do, will you finally go to bed?" DragonFyre begs.
"Sure." Victoria groans as she pulls the covers up. "Do that, uh, confoveri, thing. It was pretty." DragonFyre shook her head.
"Fine, whatever." she sighs. She flips to the music and starts to sing. "Inflammatus et accenus, Perte, Virgo sim defensus. In die judicii. Inflammatus et accensus, Perte, Virgo, sim defensus. In die judicii." She keeps singing the rest of the opera until both Bri and Victroria finally fell asleep. She closes the binder and sets it on the floor, then clasps her hands. "Dear God, I knew that New Orleans would test me, what with it's tendancy to be rather, well, unclean, to say the least. But I had no idea that trouble would come from my own roomates and friends. Father, bless them. And please let me find a way to bring them to you, Father. Amen."

2 comments:

  1. So sorry about not being on for so long! It's been kinda crazy for the last few days. My dance acadamey just fell apart and the last of the dancers have been letting go. So, emotional turmoil and March Midterms AKA March Madness. It makes for a very distressful time. However, things are getting back to normal and posts will resume as normal. Or, as normal as I can get it.

    ReplyDelete