Thursday, May 17, 2012

Watching a Book

Sparrow looks at his Juno as they wind through the many twisting roads of the Ramblings. She stops in front of a green door with the numbers: 142. "This is it?" she whispers. 
"Yeah. Told you I could provide." Juno kisses him on the cheek. 
"Of course you can, but I had a pretty good job on my own, you know, being a-" she looks around and lowers her voice, "spy." Sparrow opens the door. A fire crackles merrily in a stone oven, loaves of bread and a kettle of stew sit on a wooden table. Juno smiles. "Wow, someone must like me." Sparrow sweeps her into his arms. 
"I wouldn't have married you if I didn't." Sparrow kisses her passionately.

A chorus of "Aw!"s comes from the congregation of Realm Travelers watching the story as it streams. Terrance, Wes, and Sep exchange looks. "You serious?" Terrance asks. 
"Do we really have to watch  this?" Wes complains. Sep shrugs. 
"Well, we watched 300 last week. We might as well let the girls have this one chick flick." Sep explains. Sapphire prods TrailBlaiser, who's totally engrossed in the story. 
"Um, what's this rated?" she asks. TrailBlaiser breaks away from the story for a moment.
"Huh? What? Er, it's a story, not a movie, therefore it hasn't been rated." Sapphire glances at the screen..
"Maybe it should be." TrailBlaiser realizes where the story is going. She chokes on her popcorn. 
"Ferret!" she exclaims as she skips the rest of the chapter. 
"And it was just getting good!" Terrance complains. TrailBlaiser glares at him. 
"Death. That is what you will get if I ever hear that come out of your mouth again." Terrance holds his hands up in defense. 
"It's not like I said anything bad." TrailBlaiser looks at Sep. 
"You're training him, right?" Sep nods. "Okay, next lesson, the Good Book. Teach it." TrailBlaiser glares at Terrance then rolls her eyes. "Teenage boys. Terrible beings." A chorus of "Amen!" follows her comment. "Okay, here we go, a part suitable for Sapphire." 

Juno stands outside her home, talking with a neighbor. "So you used to be a nurse?" the neighbor asks. 
"Yep. It was a great job at the time, but I fell in love and just decided I wanted  a family more." The neighbor gestures to Juno's bulging midsection. 
"I'd say you're well on your way to that!" she jokes. Sparrow comes up behind Juno. He tips his hat to the young woman she's talking to. 
"Evening, Miss Lane. You look lovely tonight." She smiles at him. 
"Thank you, sir." Juno hugs her neighbor. 
"Well, I should probably be fixing dinner then. Talk with you tomorrow, Linda." Linda hugs her back. Juno and Sparrow go inside.

"TrailBlaiser? Should we worry?" Sep asks. 
"No. Linda can't know-" she trails off.

Linda Lane runs up to the Palace. She reaches the Supreme Custodian.
"What news have you for me?" he demands. Linda bows.
"I think I know what happened to those Young Army boys. Thanks to Cadet Officers 5 and 9." The Supreme Custodian sits up straighter in his throne. "The nurse, called Juno. And Cadet Officer 7. I suggest you take them in for questioning." 

"Worry now?" Sep asks. TrailBlaiser shakes her head.
"No, this is your Realm. In your Realm, the good guy always wins. Somehow." 

1 comment:

  1. Ah... So so sorry for not commenting sooner!!! But seriously, the first time I read this, I burst out laughing. I got a lot of strange looks from the other kids...

    ReplyDelete