Monday, May 7, 2012

The Idea

Moonlight dances in the water as Juno and Sparrow sit on the dock together. She leans on his shoulder. He smiles down at her. Stars sparkle in her eyes. Slowly, he tilts his head to one side, closes his eyes and kisses her. The moment seems to last a lifetime as Juno kisses him back. "Aw!" comes a voice from the old boat tied to the dock. Oh great, I'd know that sound anywhere, Juno grimaces. Sparrow jumps to his feet.
"Who's there?!" he demands.
"No one." comes the voice. Sparrow groans.
"Falcon, not funny. Come down from there." The stocky figure of Cadet Officer 9 steps out of the shadows. "Leave. Now."
"Darn, and it was just starting to get good." Falcon complains. He grabs Juno around the waist and pulls her close. "Oh, Juno!" he says, mocking Sparrow, "I just love you so much! Will you marry me?! Or at least spend the night with me?!" Sparrow lunges at Falcon knocking him off his feet and making him release his grasp on her. "Whoa, dude! I was only joking!"
"Well it wasn't funny!" Sparrow growls. Juno rests her hand on Sparrow's fist.
"Please, let me deal with him." Sparrow backs away from Falcon. "Thank you." Falcon looks at her skeptically. Juno spins, grabs Falcon's arm and twists it behind his back. Falcon lets out a cry of pain. Juno's eyes glitter dangerously. "Now listen to me, I can take disrespect. Go ahead and throw as many insults you like at me, but if you dare hurt someone I care about, even if you are his best friend, I will snap you like a twig! Got it?!" Falcon whimpers pitifully. Juno tosses him away from her and watches as he scampers off into the woods. She turns to face Sparrow again, his mouth agape.
"Did you just-? Wha-? How did you do that?" he stutters. Juno picks up a smooth rock and skips it seven times across the water.
"I carry a dagger around with me, and this surprises you?" she asks. Sparrow shrugs. "And, uh, while were on the topic of supposedly ridiculous things, what do you think of how the boys are being treated here?"
"Oh, um..." he leans against a tree. "Well, no one has ever seem to have had a problem with it, but, now that you mention it, something doesn't sit right with me. I was once given extra clean-up duty for helping one little boy escape a wolverine." Juno throws up her hands.
"See?! That's exactly what I mean!" She lowers her voice. "Things aren't as they should be here. Children should not have to live, or die, like this. Imagine if they were your sons." Sparrow gently pulls her near him.
"Imagine if they were our sons." he whispers. 
"Then you know what we have to do." she replies. Sparrow's expression is blank. "We have to help them."
"How?" Juno thinks for a bit.
"We have to help them escape." 

2 comments:

  1. Wow... She's really good at what she does, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes she is. Way better than I am at manipulating boys, I'm afraid. I've never had a boyfriend and yet I can write a charecter who has guys eating out of the palm of her hand. *sigh* The sad life of an aspiring author.

    ReplyDelete