Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sparks Fly

Juno sits, shivering and dripping, by a fire that Sparrow has built up in the woods.  He tosses a few more logs onto the flames and sits beside her. Fire crackling, Sparrow reaches his arm around Juno shoulders. She hits him with a hard glare. "What?" he asks.
"I'm cold, and I'm wet. Hence my mood." she replies.
"Oh come on, it can't be the worst date you've ever had." he counters. He removes his cloak and drapes it over her.
"On the contrary, it was the first date I've ever had. And I fell in a river." she groans as she hugs her knees close. "I don't know about you, but to me that seems like an omen for eternal maidenhood." Sparrow gives her a side-long look.
"Seriously? You think you're going to end up an old maid just because you fell in a river?" he reasons.
"When you put it that way... yes." she concludes. Sparrow thinks for a bit.
"Look, I'm sure that it may seem bad now, but this isn't going to decide your life. Even if we never see each other again, I'm sure some guy will like you. You're too nice a girl not to." Slowly, Sparrow wraps his arms around her. She leans into him.
"Are you saying that because you really think that, or out of pity because I'm soaking wet and deppressed?" she asks. Sparrow shrugs.
"Eh, a little of both." he jokes. She whacks him. "Okay! Okay! I really do like you. A lot."  Juno smiles at him and gazes into his eyes.
"Wow, what a beautiful sunrise!" A voice yells from behind them. Falcon steps out from the woods. "Almost makes you want to go back to your battalion and pretend you've been asleep all night so Catchpole won't kill you, doesn't it?" Sparrow jumps up from next to Juno.
"Thanks, man! I owe you one." he calls as he rushes back out of the woods.
"Any time, bro!" Falcon replies, before turning to Juno, still wrapped in Sparrow's cloak. "I don't know what happened here tonight, but judging by your soaked clothes, I would say it wasn't a perfect date." Juno laughs, half-heartedly, to herself.
"Yeah. My dream date doesn't not include almost drowning in the Moat."she groans. Falcon stretches out his hand to her.
"C'mon. The other nurses are probably expecting you." He leads her down serval old trails until they reach a clearing. He points off to the right. "The clinic is that way. I can't go any further than this without being caught." He turns to leave. "Oh, and if you see Victoria, tell her to meet me tonight at Slipway 2." He runs off.

2 comments:

  1. This might seem kinda random, but have you ever heard the song Sparks Fly by Taylor Swift? For some odd reason, I'm reminded of the Septimus Heap series every time I hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I actually wrote that into a fanfic for the series! That's the song that inspired me to make up the character of Leo! So, yeah, I've heard it. =)

    ReplyDelete