Friday, September 28, 2012

Truth and Blame

TrailBlaiser and RiverFlyte sit across from each other on the floor, their faces dimly lit bythe moonlight treaming in from the window above. "So? That's the secret." she finishes. RiverFlyte lets out a breath.
"Wow. I had no idea that all that was linked. But, this isn't just between you and me. This involves her too." TrailBlaiser lowers her head.
"I know. I'm just afraid to tell her. But, I guess that's not the only thing. There's one more secret. It's not mine, it's Sugar's. I would usually let my agents settle their problems alone but, as second-in-command, it's something you should know." She leans over and whispers something to him. His eyes widen.
"How long have you known?" he asks. 
"A few weeks." His eyes cloud over with thought. "April, Sep. April." He clenches a fist.
"If Kopa doesn't-" he's cut off as TrailBlaiser kisses him.
"He promised exactly what you promised me." she breathes. "Great Aslan, you have no idea how amazing it feels to kiss you without Night Crystal influencing me. Now I can love without... lusting." RiverFlyte watches her as she looks away.
"You were tainted. That's not your fault." he assures her. She scoots closer to him, leans into his shoulder, and closes her eyes, taking in his scent.
"It's just, my thoughts traveled where they would never go. I have a sheild built up against attacks on my purity, but, when the Night Crystal invaded, the walls shattered. I wanted to....." she cuts herself off and weeps. He holds her gently and strokes her hair.
"I understand. I love you, and I could tell that you were always on edge around me, even when you told me you loved me. I could tell because, your voice changed tone around me. Like you were straining, ever so slightly, to say more than what your words meant. But it wasn't how you normally say more than words, it was like there was a whole different voice speaking. It all makes sense now. But I need you to know, no matter what happened to you in these last months, it wasn't your fault. You were unstable, up to the point where anything could make you crack. Only Slade is to blame, not you. Slade and whoever let him get a hold of the Crystals. I don't blame you." He kisses her forehead. "I love you." 
"I love you too." she whispers. They sit in sinlence until sleep overtakes her, and RiverFlyte carries her to her bed and lays her down gently. Covering her with a blanket, he leans over to kisses her goodnight.
"Dream peacefully, my Lenora. For once in a long time." He slips out of the room, shutinng the door silently behind him.

No comments:

Post a Comment