Saturday, April 21, 2012

YA Nurses

Juno sits on a bench just outside the Wizard Tower, her bags at her side. She looks around in the early morning haze for any sign of life. A young woman dressed in a scribe's cloak sits down next to her and begins looking over her calculations. "Nice weather, isn't it?" the young woman comments. Juno checks her nails for any flaws in the polish.
"Yes, but I always carry a spare cloak." she replies. The young woman gets up, leaving a small piece of parchment on the bench.
"Nice talking with you. Best of luck in your endeavours." she says, coolly.
"And you, sister." Juno breathes. With a curt nod, the young woman walks off into the mist. Juno takes one last look around. After deciding that no one can see her, she reads the scrawling on the parchment. "Cadet Officer 7. Known to his friends as 'Sparrow.' Light brown hair. Greenish-grey eyes. Roughly nineteen." Juno whispers a Spell, and the parchment quietly catches flame. The ashes float away in the wind. A middle-aged woman approaches her. Juno squints to recognize her through the haze. The woman runs up to hug Juno. "Hello, Aunt Hera." Juno chokes out as she's enveloped in the older woman's crushing embrace.
"Hello, Juno. You ready for your first day of work?" Hera asks. Juno shrugs and picks up her bags.
"As I'll ever be, I suppose. I'm not a particular fan of it, but work is work. Anything to pay off my parent's debt." Hera helps Juno put her bags on a horse and they ride down Wizard Way, past shops and homes and endless alleyways until they finally reach a gate guarded by two men.
"I have clearance. I'm just taking in my niece for her new job as a nurse." Hera chides. The two men uncross their spears and open the gate doors. Juno watches as groups of young boys march past them, sullen looks on their faces. Hera guides the horse into the medical part of the Young Army. Nurses stop in their tracks when they see Juno. None of them say a word as she jumps off the horse and helps her aunt down. One of the youngest nurses gets the bags and brings them into the nurses' living quarters. She places them lightly in a closet. The rest of the nurses file into the small room and stare expectantly at Hera. Hera just smiles and calmly closes the door. When she is sure that no one can hear them, she addresses the women. "Greeting, Sisters. I would like you all to meet possibly the most cunning young woman you girls will ever work with, and, more importantly, my niece." The youngest nurse gives Juno a slight curtsy.
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Juno. My name is Hannah. We hear your mission is to go after an entire battalion, is this true?" she whispers. Juno gives her a curt nod. "Well, how can we be of any assistance?" Juno sits on the only bed in the room.
"First, tell me everything you know about my target, Cadet Officer 7. I was given only a name, a number, and identifying characteristics. None of which will be of much use to me once I locate him." Hannah's eyes sparkle as she rolls off information about him.
"He's often seen with Cadet Officers 5 and 9, also known as 'Falcon' and 'Bobcat'. They're usual hangout is Slipway 3, they are found on the water whenever possible. I must warn you though, Cadet Officer 5, Falcon, has been known as, well, a womanizer. I would avoid contact with him when possible. He often flirts with some of the 'non-sisterhood' nurses. I've even heard rumours of him sleeping with a few. If you want info on him, ask Victoria. She's his favourite. Cadet Officer 9, Bobcat, is a die-hard Young Army guy. He believes that everything the YA does is perfectly just. Honestly, I think he has personal relations to the SC, but no leads have yet been proven. If you want to get anywhere with any of them, but especially Sparrow, talk about the boys. If I have the schedule correct, they should be coming by later today for their weekly examinations. You can contact him then. Good luck."  Hannah leads the other nurses out of the room, leaving Juno and Hera alone.
"So," Hera breaks the silence,"you ready for this?" Juno nods.
"Just, one teeny problem, Aunt Hera."
"What's that?" Juno covers her face.
"I don't know anything about being a nurse!"

I just want to say, I'm so sorry for not posting for so long! I wrote this story line a while ago along with the first few installments. Unfortunately, I can't find them. Don't worry, because I'm positive that they will show up right after I finish writing this story. :P So, for the time being, I'm winging it. ;)

3 comments:

  1. That happens a lot to me, so I'm totally fine with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I just wanted to point out that my stories have three main indicators as to how it's being told. Purple=story blue=RTHQ Commentary Black=Reality. Just in case it wasn't clear before. :)

    ReplyDelete