Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sparrow

It's a routine medical examination, I keep telling myself. Besides, I have to remain strong. The boys can pick up on fear. A nurse walks by carrying a tray of syringes. I'm going to be sick. "Sparrow, calm down." comes a voice from behind me. I turn around to see Cadet Officer 9.
"How can I, Falcon? This place reeks of sickness and death."
"Oh, not all of it. Have you seen the new nurse?" I shake my head. "She's a doll. Just gorgeous." Another nurse winks at him. "Of course, none can compare with Victoria." He walks over and kisses her. Must he really do that now?
"Cadet Officer 7?" calls a young woman at the back of the room. I make my way over to her. 
"I go by Sparrow." I correct. She blushes.
"Oh, excuse me. I'm new here." So this is the new girl? Falcon wasn't lying. Shes the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. I wonder what her name is...  She leads me into one of the examination rooms. "So, how many boys are under your control here?" I shrug.
"Changes everyday. Sometimes ten, sometimes thirty. Today I've got fifteen." She scribbles something on her list.
"Any recent injuries?"
"None as far as I know. You girls made sure of that last time I came here. You also made sure that I got at least five vaccines in the arm." I grumble. She hides a smile behind her papers.
"Sorry, but would you prefer to die of smallpox?" she jokes. I step closer to her.
"I'm considering it." I jest. She bats her eyes at me. "What's your name?"
"Juno. And could you please stop distracting me and let me do my job?" I give up and let her finish the exam. She reaches for the door handle, but stops, resting her hand lightly on it. "You can, however, distract me all you like this evening, if you have the time. I'm off work starting at 5:00."
"I'll take you up on that offer. I have free time later as well. I'll see you behind the clinic." She opens the door and I walk out. Falcon comes up to me.
"So, what happened in there?" he asks. I can't help but smile.
"I think I've got a date tonight."

1 comment: