Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Boat

Sparrow glances about for any sign of Juno. It's almost eight. Where is she? He shakes his head, assuming that she blew him off. As he's rounding the corner, he runs into Juno. She seems flustered. "Sorry!" she stutters. "I can be so clumsy!"
"No, no, it was my fault." he reassures her. "Where have you been, anyway?" Juno blushes.
"Some of the other nurses played a 'hazing' joke on me. They told me we were going to Ma Custurd's for pastries. Next thing I know, I'm locked in a closet, blind-folded and tied up. I showed them though." She pulls out a foot long dagger. "Any smart girl always carries one." She notices the shocked look on Sparrow's face. "Oh, don't worry! I didn't hurt them! Maybe scared them a little, but never hurt them." Sparrow lets out a light chuckle.
"And here I was, thinking you blew me off. And that you were girly." Juno puts her hands on her hips.
"I am girly! I just like to be prepared. Besides," she leans in close to him, "I wouldn't blow you off." Sparrow's face turns bright red.
"Um, uh, er..." he stutters. Juno stifles a laugh.
"You've never talked to a girl before, have you?" she taunts. He gives her an embarresed look. "It's okay. I'll go easy on you." She grabs his hand and they walk down an old trail behind the clinic. "What do you guys do for fun around here?"  Sparrow stops. A smile slowly creeps up on his face.
"I'll show you." He leads her through the forest 'til they reach an old dock. A rickety old boat bobs up and down on the water. A weathered flag whips around in the wind. He gestures for her to get on. She gives him an odd look.
"You want me... to get on... that?" She asks. Sparrow nodds. "And it won't sink?"
"You're not scared, are you?" he taunts. Juno tenativly approaches the vessel. She reaches for the railing. She tries to pull herself up, but gets stuck.
Um, help?" she squeaks. The boat shifts away from the dock, leaving her dangling above the murky Moat water. "Please!" Sparrow pounces onto the boat. Juno feels his strong hands as he grabs her by the waist and lifts her onto the deck. She sneaks a glance over the edge, then immediatly regrets it. "How- how'd you get up here so easily?" He flashes her a crooked smile.
"I've been doing this since I was twelve. I think I've learned a thing or two." Juno tries to stand, but falls. "Guess you don't have your sea legs, then." he jokes. She glares at him.
"What was your first clue?" She slowly stands up, gripping the railing for support. "Well, it's not so hard." Suddenly, the railing snaps and she falls into the Moat. Sparrow looks around frantically.
"Juno! Juno where are you?!" He sees the surface of the water bubble up, but nothing emerges. He takes off his shirt and jumps in. He opens his eyes underwater and spots Juno, quietly sinking to the water's floor. He grabs her and furiously swims to the top. He gasps for air as he drags both of them onto th boat. He lays her down on the deck and checks for a heartbeat. "Oh-no. Um, okay she's not breathing." he thinks aloud. He breathes for her. After a few moments, her eyes fluttuer open and she gasps like a hooked fish. When she comes to fully, she looks at Sparrow.
"Am I crazy, or did you just kiss me?"

1 comment:

  1. She almost drowns and that's the first thing she says? Sorry if I sound mean, but I tend to do this with all the stories I like. Then I go jump around and squeal like a fan girl. And I'll just go do that now.

    ReplyDelete