Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Seventh Avenger

*I'm using both the super hero names and secret identity names in this post
Captain America bursts into the Director's room. "Sir, you should see this." He holds up Swiftwind, now back in cat form. Nick Fury just stares at him. 
"Rogers, is this some kind of joke?" he asks. Rogers shakes his head. 
"No, sir. Watch." He gently tosses Swiftwind and she morphs into a human. Nick Fury jumps back in shock as Swiftwind smiles warmly at him. 
"Hiya!" she exclaims. Nick stares at her for a bit, then relaxes. 
"I've seen shape-shifters before. Never into a cat though. Strange." he looks her over. "How do you do that?" he asks. 
"Well, I got my powers from Agent TrailBlaiser, and she got hers from Aslan, who wouldn't have given her powers unless Agent DragonFyre thought of it." she explains. Rogers and Fury stare blankly.
"Agent... TrailBlaiser? What agency is she from? Who is she?" Fury asks.
"We're both from Realm Travelers, a secret organization of story-tellers that travel to different realms collecting information and all-around messing up the fabric of time and space. It's kinda fun. She herself is twin sister, or maybe daughter, we can never tell, of Agent DragonFyre, who wrote me, TrailBlaiser, and Agent Rabbitleap, into existance. But not Agent-in-Training Sapphire. No one really knows where she came from." Swiftwind grins broadly.
"Oh, okay, that explains exactly NOTHING!" Fury growls. "I've never even heard of this, Realm Travelers!" Swiftwind narrows her eyes at him.
"Why do you think it's called a 'secret organization'? Not a 'hey, tell the world and give out milkshakes!' organization." Fury gets up in her face. 
"Are you sassing me?" he growls.
"That's a definite possibility." she answers. Fury raises his hand to slap her, but Rogers stops him.
"Wait! She might be useful to us. What if she joined our team? She seems harmless, annoying, but harmless. Having a shape-shifter on the team might give us an advantage." he adds. Fury looks from Rogers to Swiftwind.
"Fine. But if she steps out of line again, she's out." He decides. Swiftwind purrs loudly. "Give her Miss Romanoff's quarters." Swiftwind bounces around happily. 


"So, what can you do?" Captain America asks the next morning at a training session. "I mean, you must be able to do more than turn into a cat." Swiftwind back-flips over a hurdle.
"Actually, my power is being able to turn into a human. I was born a cat. My parents were a tabby and a solid white. But I know what you mean. I also have cat-like reflexes." She cartwheels, one-handed, past him. 
"I can see that. Anything else?" he asks. Swiftwind stops mid-handstand and looks at him.
"Supposedly, healing." She flips back to her feet.
"Healing, how does that work?" Swiftwind shrugs.
"I don't know. I didn't know I had that power beyond a Realm Traveler's basic skills to heal wounds. I guess that makes me, a, what, super nurse?" She runs and jumps onto the building and climbs higher onto the roof, then leaps off. Capatain America stands in awe as she lands gracefully. "A cat always lands on her feet." 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Okay, you know how dogs and cats are opposites? Well, Rabbitleap is soft-spoken and introverted. Whereas Swiftwind is loud, playful, and optimistic. Think of her as a kitten.

      Delete
  2. This is random, but every time I hear someone's hair described as strawberry blond, I think their hair is blond with pink streaks! I think I remember you saying Agent DragonFyre had hair like that, too... Soooo, what does strawberry blond actually mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strawberry blonde often refers to a person's hair being a mix between blonde and ginger.

      Delete